From Ana Barrigan, Dreamers Coordinator at UCI:
Current Counseling Services:
Dreamers will have a psychologist who is formally undocumented work from the office (CCC 112) on Friday, Nov 18: from 1-1:45pm and from 3:15pm-5pm.
- Donald Trump will not take office until January 20, 2017.
- The likelihood is that DACA will be discontinued (Part of Trump’s campaign promises).
- Massive deportations is unlikely due to Due Process and 14th Amendment.
- There is priority list for deportations; 1) terrorists, 2) criminals, DACA students would be at the bottom of such a list.
If any student needs to speak to an immigration attorney about your situation that might require legal aid, please email the Dreamers Coordinator Ana Miriam Barragan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial Aid Updates:
- AB 540 status is authorized in state law, so it is not directly affected by the outcome of the recent election. Support for the AB 540 law remains strong at the University of California and among California policy makers.
- The financial aid available to undocumented AB 540 students comes from state and UC sources. Therefore, the outcome of the federal election has no effect on the availability of your financial aid.
- Employment, however, could be more directly affected by federal actions. Employment by undocumented AB 540 students – through a state work-study program or not — is dependent on having Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status with the federal government. To the extent that DACA is changed, your eligibility to work could be impacted. If DACA is revised, the University is committed to exploring how to mitigate the impacts on UC students.
- The University of California remains committed to promoting the success of undocumented AB 540 students through its financial aid program and other support services.
- E4FC on Post-Election Advice for undocumented individuals
- My (Un)documented life Recommendations for School Administrators, Educators, Counselors, and Students
- Concrete Suggestions for Changes in Preparation for 2017